I love to cook and try new recipes! However, I've never had the confidence to alter recipes (a little here and there is fine but nothing major) or the confidence to just completely throw something together myself. Tonight's meal that I had planned at the beginning of the week didn't work because I forgot to thaw the chicken. I was REALLY tempted to just ask Shawn to bring something home because I was exhausted but I decided to come up with a plan B instead! Pasta sounded good so I searched the pantry and fridge to see what sauce I could make. We had a jar of sauce but that was not sounding good at all! Once I saw what we had I went on-line to my blogs to see if I could find any recipes that contained those ingredients. The closest one I found was
Pioneer Woman's Pasta with Pesto Cream Sauce but I still didn't have most of the ingredients. I had the pasta, a little less than half a jar of pesto (leftover from a previous recipe), and the butter. I didn't need quite a few of the ingredients because I wasn't having to make the pesto sauce so I really just needed a substitution for the heavy cream. Normally I substitute heavy cream with a milk, flour, & corn starch combo but we didn't have any milk (of course we thought ours was still good when we did our grocery shopping this weekend and it wasn't)! I decided to use sour cream as the substitution.
The recipe I ended up using for the sauce was:
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup pesto
*Melt the butter and sour cream
*Mix in the pesto
*Simmer then heat on low until the pasta is ready
We served it with corn and a slice of garlic toast & it was delicious!! It was SO nice to have a spontaneous recipe work out!!
No comments:
Post a Comment